College of Science and Mathematics Statement of Solidarity with Black Lives
The horrific killings of George Floyd and so many other Black people in the United States can only justly be met with anger, grief and a commitment to dismantle the systemic racism that exists in all segments of society and has taken so many Black lives and subjected generations of Black people to violence and trauma.
It’s too easy for us in the College of Science and Mathematics to say that science and mathematics are objective fields of study and teaching anti-racism is not our job. Yet STEM disciplines, which are at the very core of our polytechnic mission, are still predominantly white, and our students, staff and faculty members of color experience acts of racism, small and large, on an ongoing basis in our San Luis Obispo and Cal Poly communities. We must, therefore, individually and collectively make social and racial justice a priority on a continuing basis. The responsibility for authentic and lasting change rests with each of us.
The College of Science and Mathematics reaffirms its commitment to making anti-racism a priority. Our ongoing action items include:
- Training faculty on inclusive teaching practices
- Revising college policies to remove barriers to success for students, faculty and staff from historically marginalized backgrounds
- Granting funding for faculty-led inclusion and equity initiatives
- Investing in student clubs, events and organizations that promote awareness and success of students from historically marginalized groups
- Listening and learning from students, staff and faculty from historically marginalized groups
These are the times when we are most aware that we are one community whose shared future depends on practicing our values of love, empathy and respect by working to create a truly equitable society. We stand in solidarity with Black lives. The College of Science and Mathematics believes that Black lives do matter.