var _gaq = _gaq || []; _gaq.push(['_setAccount', 'UA-21462253-7']); _gaq.push(['_trackPageview']); (function() { var ga = document.createElement('script'); ga.type = 'text/javascript'; ga.async = true; ga.src = ('https:' == document.location.protocol ? 'https://ssl' : 'http://www') + ''; var s = document.getElementsByTagName('script')[0]; s.parentNode.insertBefore(ga, s); })();

Bailey College of Science and Mathematics

Enhancing lives through learning, discovery and innovation

Website Update

Frost Scholarship FAQ

Image of students exiting the main entrance of the Warren J. Baker Center for Science and Mathematics

$20,000 a year for four years ($80,000 total value) are offered to outstanding students applying for degree programs in Biological Sciences, Marine Science, Microbiology, Chemistry, Biochemistry, Mathematics, Physics and Statistics.

How do I know if I’m eligible?

Frost Scholarships are currently only available via individual offers from the Frost Fund Director.

What do I need to do to qualify?

Frost Scholars must be a full-time student (at least 36 quarter units a year at Cal Poly) and maintain a grade point average in the top 50% of students in the College of Science and Mathematics.

What if I use financial aid grants?

The Frost scholarship is required to be coordinated with any other grant aid. The Financial Aid Office will apply the scholarship in the way that maximizes your grant aid eligibility based on your financial need as defined by EFC and Cal Poly Cost of Attendance. 

What if I want to change my major?

Change of major within the degree programs listed above are acceptable subject to approval by the receiving department. Change of majors to other programs are considered as long as the program has a strong science and mathematics foundation. Please consult with the Frost Fund Director if you are contemplating a change of major.

What if I want to participate in international programs and study abroad?

These programs are supported by the Frost Scholarship as long as they are approved by the University and result in academic units on your Cal Poly transcript. Please consult with the Frost Fund Director if you are planning one of these programs in addition to the International Programs Office.

What if I need to take a leave of absence?

We understand that occasionally students will need medical leaves or have personal opportunities that require a leave. Generally, we approve these leaves for up to a year while not counting that year as one of the four. Please consult with the Frost Fund Director if you are considering a leave of absence.

Are there any other expectations of me?

Frost Scholars are encouraged to graduate in four years and to plan for graduate or professional school or employment so these can be entered immediately upon graduation. Additionally, Frost Scholars are highly encouraged to participate in original undergraduate research with their faculty mentors.

Related Content

Intersections Magazine - 2023

Intersections Magazine - 2023

Intersections Magazine - 2023

Read Here

DEI in the Bailey College

Bailey College DEI IDEAS gears graphic

Learn more here

Support Learn By Doing in the Bailey College

Support Learn by Doing in the Bailey College

Support Learn by Doing